Tuesday 31 May 2011

Week 21

23.05.11 - 29.05.11


I had to give in to illness this week... what started off as a sore throat, turned nasty and wiped me out big time. I had to concede defeat and took time off to recover (sun/mon/tue/wed). It was really difficult to just stay off the road and out of the water but I felt that I had missed quite a lot of quality sessions by exercising sick...


I felt a lot better when I woke up on Thursday morning and the itchy feet got the better of me and Ioaded my wetsuit into the car in preparation for my post work lake swim. I managed to escape from work on time and after driving through a rain shower arrived at the lake. I was planning on taking it really easy and just chilling in the water with maybe a lap or two. I started off my first lap with Greg and we maintained the same pace throughout and at the end of the first lap we just carried on and on and on... By the end of the session we had managed 6 laps (approx 3000m) in about 50 minutes which is fairly respectable. I felt completely comfortable in the water and my breathing was easy and when I got out out I felt more awake than when I had started. So all in all it was a good comeback session.


I decided to take Friday off as I was really worried about doing too much too soon.


Saturday was wet and windy, but I couldn't let that stop me, or affect me adversely, so I climbed into winter gear with lots of layers and headed out on my bike. I just did a short hour long session as the weather wasn't great, however it was an hour and it was a decent session. I also discovered a new loop around Oxford , which is one of the great things to come out of cycling. I felt good on the bike and although my speed was down, I didn't feel that I was too far off my pace from when the illness struck.


I had to work on Sunday and by the time I got home I was exhausted and there was only really enough time to make dinner and then call it a day...


It was a quite week but I needed to get over the illness completely and now I am ready to get back to business. There is a little voice that is telling me to realign my goals, however I will wait until I get next week over with before I start looking at that.


W



No comments:

Post a Comment