Monday 23 May 2011

Week 20

16.05.11 - 22.05.11


AAARRGH! I fought the dreaded lurgy that followed me from last week but it got the better of me eventually and that meant that this week was a little bit of a write off but I did manage to get a few sessions in at a relaxed/recovery effort. These last 5 weeks have been a frustrating mix of working stupid interfering hours (more than 12 hours a day) and being taken down by annoying little bugs. This (illness) has however prompted a much healthier approach to eating and after just one week on the (higher quantity) vegetables with every meal I can already feel the benefits.  


So this week; 
On Monday my legs were a little tired from the Town and Gown and as it was meant to be a rst day, it worked out perfectly. I was still feeling a little snotty and my head felt like it was filed with cotton wool, so I just chilled and planned the rest of the week...mmm, whats that saying about the best laid plans...


I was still feeling a little ill on Tuesday, but the internet said as long as it was above the neck then I would be fine to exercise and as I had done so well on the Sunday feeling like this, I didn't think twice about exercising. However, as work progressed and the hours passed by I realised my long bike ride wasn't going to happen (I'm not a fan of cycling in the dark) I hauled out my turbo trainer, set it up outside and found a turbo session on a website I had found a while back. I cranked out an hour of intervals in the safety of my back garden but by the end my throat was starting to feel a little raw. Oh dear...


I felt awful on wednesday, I had packed my swimming stuff for the Radley swim session but I was struggling to breath, had a pounding headache and to top it all off worked a 13 hour day and missed the start... I was not a happy triathlete when I eventually got home and dropped a few paracetamol and ibuprofen down my throat and went to bed... sulking... and in a little mood... I wanted to swim, OK!


I woke up on Thursday feeling as right as rain, well almost, but better than yesterday... I packed my wetsuit and held thumbs that I would make the lake swim. I continued with the medication throughout the day and was feeling alright as I drove out of the gates with just about enough time to make the lake swim. It was a struggle, fun, but a struggle. I got out the lake and suddenly the world spun upside down and my stomach thought that some of my lunch might like to make an encore appearance (I didn't let it though) I plonked myself down and sat there just waiting to feel normal again. I was still quite shaky as I drove home... maybe another day of rest would have been a good idea...


On Friday the sore throat was back but by the end of the day I was feeling much better and there were no signs that  I had even been ill, so (stupidly) I went for a run, my throat closed up and my heart rate went all the way up and after 5 kms I suffered the worst cramps, in the world, in both my calves and my left hamstring. I hobbled home and climbed into a bath to ponder the way the week was going. I decided that I was still going to go swimming, but only as a recovery session and wasn't going to push it. It was also the pre-blenheim swim and that is something that I really enjoy. The swim was nice and easy and I surprised myself by managing 5 laps without feeling like I had done anything. I did feel knackered for the rest of the day and spent the rest of the day chilling out.


Sunday was spent at work and by the time I got home I was shattered and the cold was threatening to return and so I decided to take it easy and finish some of the things that needed doing. 


So I now have 10 weeks till the big day and apparently June is dead at work so hopefully with some vitamins, minerals, veg and rest I will be able to up the mileage and time spent training and get back on track...


No comments:

Post a Comment